GrillsPortable

Propane Vs. Natural Gas: Find the Best Grill That Gives you a Memorable BBQ Experience

Just as you might have heard, natural gas originates from the underground petroleum deposits. It’s captured in its typical state and then sent through a piping system managed by your local utility company. On the contrary, propane is a form of natural fuel that undergoes a distillation process before it’s ready to use. After the initial distillation and treatment process, it’s put in tanks that are matted to a grill.

Statistically, out of all grillers who use combustible gas as fuel, 65% of them use propane while the other 35% utilize natural gas. Propane is expressively more popular, but natural gas is also gaining tremendous admiration in the world of gas grill options. Modern gas grills now feature a natural gas option that acts as an alternative to propane. Here’s what we think regarding propane vs natural gas grill. Read on for more insights.

Why Choose Natural Gas Over Propane? 

Apparently, there are several benefits of natural gas over propane. Nevertheless, propane grill purists also have their reasons to opt for the old standby. The following are the advantages of natural gas:

Go Green—Save the Ecosystem 

Natural gas and propane contain a small carbon footprint, and they both fall on the bottom most end of the CO2 gas emissions scale. It implies that the two fuels contribute less to global warming as compared to others, including kerosene, coal and gasoline. The only notable difference is that natural gas burns cleaner than its propane fuel equivalent.

Consequently, natural gas would be your best bet if going green is your thing. When it comes to the environment, you won’t actually go wrong with either. Charcoal, which is also a common fuel source for grills, is less energy efficient compared to gas or propane. It also emits considerably more pollutants than both.

Cost-Effective in the Long Run 

Installing natural gas in your home is expensive. Fortunately, some services install natural gas free of charge if you live near a natural gas main. If your home is far away, you’re likely to pay a portion of the expenses so as to have the natural gas main extended to your place of residence.

Upfront costs may dissuade you from installing natural gas in your home. But once it’s been installed, it becomes economical over the long haul. Natural gas costs only a third of what you’ll have to pay to stay stocked up in propane. Connecting the grill to your natural gas line is much cheaper than using propane, particularly if you cook out a few times in a week.

Absolute Convenience 

The only possible complication revolves around setting up natural gas. But once it’s correctly set up, you won’t have to run to the store again like the case of propane tanks. A natural gas source has an unlimited supply of fuel. Turn on your grill, and enjoy it to your utmost satisfaction.

While initial setup seems a little complicated, there’s a wealth of info and guidance available online. Also, most gas grills provide a gas kit option that accompanies a manual and an online video. The video provides comprehensive instructions concerning how to hook up natural gas.

Propane Gas Grill 

Installing a new gas line may not be practical if you reside in an area (or an apartment) mainly surrounded by concrete. Hence, having a propane-fueled grill can make the most sense. Propane’s main disadvantage is that it has a dirtier burn, which is heavier and emits carbon buildup (soot) throughout the grill.

Therefore, you’re likely to spend most of your time cleaning the ignition switch, burners and flavor bars. Luckily enough, the type of gas used won’t have an impact on the taste of food. You get your flavor from the marinades and seasonings that you use.

If you plan on investing in propane gas grill, you’re recommended to pay a little more cash for a second propane tank that’ll act as a backup. It should cost you approximately $30 to $40. Of course, this will be necessary because there’s nothing more embarrassing than running out of gas in the middle of your grilling.

Note that propane boasts more energy as compared to natural gas. Propane gas boasts around 2,500 BTUs per cubic feet, whereas natural gas contains 1,000 BTUs per cubic feet. This implies that propane gives you the heat you need to cook all your favorite BBQ dishes. Courtesy of these reasons alongside others we’ve not explored, many enthusiastic grillers suggest that propane gas grill offers a purer barbecue experience.

Verdict: 

Whether you choose to opt for propane or natural gas, each of the options comes with unique advantages. Either option gives you the essential barbecue experience. If you decide to opt for the natural gas way, you get the much-needed convenience while simultaneously saving on costs. Overall, decisions are entirely up to you as far as propane vs natural gas grill goes. Choose the one that suits you the most.

Tags
Show More
Close